Seachem Reef Salt - 160 gal.
Item # 198664 / Manufacturer Part # 323
Not just any salt will do when it comes to replicating the reef environment. Seachem's Reef Salt is a special formula created just for reef aquariums, with elevated levels of calcium, magnesium, and strontium that will get your corals growing This salt mix buffers and maintains a pH of 8.4 between water changes, providing superior calcium and alkalinity stability. Best of all, this nitrate and phosphate-free formula dissolves clear on contact. Give your reef life the best there is with Seachem's Reef Salt.
Not sure which salt to buy for your aquarium? Check out our aquarium salt guide to quickly compare.
|Package Size||44.8 lb.|
1. Mix Reef Salt with dechlorinated tap or purified water. We recommend the use of a commercial dechlorinator like Prime to neutralize any tap water chlorine and/or chloramines. If source water quality is extremely poor we recommend purification with a Seachem Pinnacle RO/DI system.
NOTE: To prepare small quantities, use 34 g of Reef Salt per each liter (1/2 cup per each US gallon) of water.
2. Stir well to ensure a good mix. Although the Reef Salt™ solution may be used immediately, we suggest aerating the water until it achieves oxygen/carbon dioxide equilibrium.
3. Measure specific gravity. Recommended range is 1.020 – 1.025 at 24 C (75 F).
NOTE: 675 g of Reef Salt is formulated to create 20 liters (1.4 lbs per 5 US gallons) of saltwater at a specific gravity of 1.021.
4. Adjust salt level accordingly. If specific gravity is too low, add more Reef Salt. If too high, add more dechlorinated or purified water.
5. Change 20% of aquarium water every 2 weeks (or as necessary) to maintain optimum water quality.
USAGE NOTE: NEVER mix salt in an aquarium containing animals. In New Aquariums: Transfer animals to the aquarium AFTER salt is completely mixed and aerated and specific gravity has been adjusted. Use Seachem’s Stability® to avoid “new tank syndrome” and prevent unnecessary animal losses in a new system.
CAUTION: Reef Salt is not for human consumption. Keep out of reach of children. Contact in dry form may cause skin or eye irritation. In case of eye contact, completely flush eye(s) with cool water and seek medical attention.
NOTE: Depending on specific gravity, alkalinity should be about 4.0–5.0 meq/L, calcium should be between 380–430 mg/L, magnesium should be between 1200–1350 mg/L, and strontium should be 8–12 mg/L. Between water changes some elements may become depleted through utilization. Seachem offers a full line of reef supplements for restoring and maintaining many parameters, including (but not limited to) calcium, magnesium, strontium, iodide and alkalinity.
Typical Ionic Concentrations of Seachem Reef Salt(in mg/L):