Kanaplex - 0.2 oz.
Item # 198732 / Manufacturer Part # 881
KanaPlex is a blended kanamycin based medication that safely and effectively treats several fungal, and bacterial fish diseases (dropsy, popeye, fin/tail rot, septicemia). Because it is absorbed by fish it is useful in treating internal infections in those situations where food is refused. It does not adversely affect the filter bed and is easily removed with carbon. To enhance palatability use with Garlic Guard. Food may be refrozen.
|Package Size||0.2 oz.|
|Treatment For||Bacterial & Fungal Infections|
|Invert Safe||With caution|
Directions: Use 1 level spoonful (180 mg) for every 20 L (5 gallons). Repeat every 2 days as required up to a maximum of 3 doses. Turn off UV, ozone, and chemical filtration. To feed, blend 1 measure with about 1 tablespoon of frozen food paste. Food may be refrozen.
Kanamycin sulfate (40%).
Part of a two-part punch to fight infection 8/20/2013
Unfortunately, our community's private water supply and predilection toward power outages has cause some awful bacterial outbreaks in my Amazon tank. Regardless of using generator or battery-powered air pumps, flexbacterium has caused massive trouble in my tank twice due to a loss of a biofilter. In one occasion, the outbreak was so bad that I had to use both gram negative and positive-staining antibiotics. In order to do this, I combined Neoplex and Kanaplex. These two antibiotics killed off the masive infection in the tank very well.
I only did not give five stars to this product because strong doses will kill your live plants. I lost all six of my Amazon sword plants and had to re-plant the tank.
If you are having a hard time with fish who appear to be being eaten alive by bacteria, use these two medicines. If your infection is not so bad, then tetracyline is just fine.
Both Kanaplex and Neoplex are fine to use with sensitive fish, such as the salt-sensitive corydoras.
It works... but 3/18/2013
Reviewer: Michael J. Serpiello
This medication which was suggested by one of the supervisors at the store in Lancaster seems to work well but, and it's a big BUT ... the design of the dispenser and vial it comes in seems to be engineered to waste the product. The product is a "sticky" powder - i.e. it sticks to the plastic vial making it difficult to get it away from the bottom of the vial where the little spoon dispenser can reach it. Once you grab a full spoonful you then have to use the top rim of the vial to scrape off the excess to get a level spoonful (the recommended dose measurement). The scraping off the excess process almost invariably leads to some of the product falling out of the vial because of a little plastic ring on the shaft of the spoon just above the spoon itself. I can't explain how frustrating this is to use. There has to be a better way. If the spoon were able to reach the bottom of the vial to remove the product without actually requiring the closing and sealing of the vial with the lid/spoon combination dispenser (even closed, the spoon doesn't reach all the way to the bottom of the vial), I could live with it. Why not just make it a liquid solution or totally re-design the dispenser so that it makes sense.