Shop in Retail Store
Ship to Home
Ship to Lancaster, Pa Store
|Indicator Method||Color Change|
Care: No care is required beyond removing algae with a clean, soft material. Avoid touching the sensor with fingers, since skin oils can damage it. Do not use bleach, soap, detergents or hard objects to clean the sensor. Some dye medications may discolor the sensor. Sensitivity improves with age, provided the unit is not allowed to dry out, however, drying does not permanently impair the unit. For maximum sensitivity, the unit should be read under natural daylight or daylight simulating light. Red enhancing light minimizes green and blue hues, decreasing the apparent sensitivity of the unit. The response of the unit may be checked by holding it briefly over the mouth of an ammonia bottle: color should develop rapidly.
Ratings & Reviews
Don't Leave Home Without One!
Having used Seachem ammonia Alert meters for years, I find them indispensable.
<br>I've tried other meters but have found them to be just awful. Inaccurate readings galore and you have to replace the cartridges every 4-6 weeks.
<br>They're also 2-3 times the cost of the meters by Seachem.
<br>The Seachem meters don't replace proper testing of water parameters but then they're not meant to. They simply alert you to Ammonia spikes.
<br>They won't give you a specific reading but rather let you know at a glance if there's a problem ranging from alert to toxic.
<br>From that point you need to get out your test kits and confirm your ammonia level.
<br>The meters perform exactly as intended - serious hobbyists have been relying on them for years as a tool to prevent potential disaster.
<br>Seachem states each meter will last a year, but I replace mine every six months or so - to stay on the safe side.
<br>At the minimal price for these meters I find them an exceptional value when used correctly for their intended purpose.
<br>Seachem ammonia alert meters provide added peace of mind (and with keeping fish we need all of that we can get) - not to mention they warn you of potential disaster and loss of fish by ammonia poisoning.
<br>At a mere cost of $6 and change apiece. It's money well spent.
great ammonia alert.
I don't check for ammonia all the time when I do a water test so this will let you know if something happens like a dead fish or something.
I totally agree with Peter (the above posting). It alerts you to a problem and you deal with it before it gets out-of-hand. I, too, replace both the PH and the Ammonia Alerts very 6 months. They are cheap and very effective. I highly recommend them both.
I have one in all 6 tanks. If color changes just a touch I do a water test immediately. I can catch a small problem before it becomes out of control. I would not be without them.